Avenue of Palms

Avenue of Palms
Palms

Thursday, January 15, 2015

PPIE scarves and computers

PPIE scarf
What souvenirs did PPIE visitors wear? I googled "PPIE scarf" and "PPIE scarves" and came up with several examples of scarves. Most of them were Jacquard or embroidered. I will look more closely at some pictures of the PPIE visitors to see if they have anything accenting their hot scratchy wool suits. By the time the Golden Gate Exposition came around in 1939, there were printed scarves - many very colorful artistic scarves. But as far as I have seen for 1915 PPIE, the scarves are just Jacquard and embroidery.

I shouldn't say "just Jacquard" because it is a very complicated design in that PPIE scarf - letters and a picture - formed only by which thread is up and which is down.  That is the same technology that led to punched cards for early computers. It's pretty fascinating and those of us, who are old enough, remember paper tape and punched cards. For years I kept my little roll of paper tape equivalent of my first "Hello World" program, probably finally tossed it.



Here is where I found the nicest collection of lady's items from PPIE. There are scarves with flags and embroidery, Jacquard scarves of the Tower of Jewels, a possible printed or painted one with poppies and the golden gate.

Some interesting history sites on cards






No comments:

Post a Comment